FTSE indices turned in a tepid performance to midday -- the blue chip down on ailing commodity stocks, and the mid cap up -- as retailers hoped to cash in on the sector's Black Friday of frenzied discounting. Rio Tinto (RIO) was in the news among falling miners. Oilies sauntered south, too. To noon, FTSE 100 was down 9.37 points, or 0.15%, to 6383.76. Risers and fallers were roughly evenly split. FTSE 250 rose 6.75, or 0.04%, to 17,223.2. At 11.49am, crude was 1%-2.4% lower, while gold and copper were at USD1064/oz and USD208/lb. Key European bourses were mildly up, reversing their earlier softness. UK's Black Friday -- heralding in the countdown to the Christmas selling season -- had no compelling impact on the retail sector's share prices. Instead it was miners tumbling on renewed concerns about China's economy that provided cue. Anglo American (AAL) dived 5.4% to 412.25p. Rio Tinto (RIO) shed 1.85% to 2229p, on news it was expand output from one of the world's premier bauxite deposits following approval of the USD1.9bn Amrun project in Australia. Oilies were led lower by BP (BP.), off 0.76% to 386.65p, on crude's slide. Shell (RDSA) and BG (BG.) softened, too. A palette of financials were further ballast, these guided by Aberdeen Asset Management (ADN), off 1.48% to 338.4p, and Hargreaves Lansdown (HL.), off 1.22% to 1458p. Supermarkets, several utilities and a string of residential and commercial property specialists tapered, too. BIGGER MOVERS React Energy (REAC) slumped 30% to 3.5p as it remained laden with losses. Its FY deficit did, however, narrow substantially to 0.9m euros, from a loss of 14.7m euros. Anglesea Mining (AYM) dived 24.67% to 1.13p as it chalked-up an H1 net loss of GBP0.14m, from a year-earlier loss of GBP0.88m. Aortech (AOR) plunged 10.34% to 26p as it posted substantial interim losses of USD0.56m. Beowulf (BEM) rose 15.49% to 5.63p on booking a nine-month pretax loss of GBP1.4m, from a year-ago loss of GBP2.1m. ECONOMIC NEWS UK's economy -- as measured in second-estimate gross domestic product (GDP) -- grew 0.5% on the quarter in Q3, in line with market estimates and unchanged from the preceding three-month period. The index of services printed at 0.7% in Q3, which was a tickle below the expected reading of 0.8% and below the preceding quarter's 0.9%. Consumer confidence in the UK fell to a seasonally adjusted reading of 1 on GfK's consumer confidence index for the country in October. This against an expected and preceding print of 2. LONDON HIGHLIGHTS Patisserie (CAKE) tumbled 4.45% to 324.88p as investors took profits following a strong run for the stock, up 60% over the last 12 months. Its FY pretax profit was up 29% to GBP14.6m, with revenue 20% higher at GBP91.9m. Its maiden and final dividend was 1.67p a share. Stellar Diamonds (STEL), down 3.45% to 14p, has formally submitted its application for a large-scale mining licence for the Tongo project to the National Minerals Agency of Sierra Leone. Volex (VLX), up 3.4% to 57p, has combined the roles of chairman and CEO to create an executive chairman position, to which Nathaniel Rothschild had been appointed with immediate effect. Pennon (PNN) rallied 3.41% to 865.5p as it hiked H1 pretax profit by 6.8% to GBP106.8m, adding it was on track to meet management views for the FY. Caffyns (CFYN) fell 2.56% to 570p despite revving in with strong interims. H2 trading may be more challenging. Future (FUTR) fell 1.09% to 10.88p after raising GBP3.3m at a discounted 10p. Funds would go to investments in various revenue streams including e-commece, events and digital advertising. TMT Investments (TMT), up 0.21% to 1.77p, has sold a small part of its equity stake in Pipedrive, Inc. Other stocks in the news included Goals Soccer Centres (GOAL), Braveheart Investment Group (BRH), Balfour Beatty (BBY), Lamprell (LAM), Origin Enterprises (OGN), Rightster (RSTR), Rasmala (RMA), The Mission Marketing Group (TMMG) and Northern Bear (NTBR).
Sign up to our
Subscribe to the latest investing news by entering your email address below
You can opt out at any time.
For five days a week you will get
- The latest company news
- Insight into investment trends
- Round-up of director's buys and sells
- Articles from Shares magazine
Plus more useful investment content and occasional promotional offers.
UK 350 Risers and Fallers
Tweets not available.