13 October 2017
Requirement for issuer LEI codes
LEI requirement for all issuers
1. London Stock Exchange requires all issuers with securities admitted to trading on its regulated market and MTFs to have a Legal Entity Identifier ("LEI") code. This is in order to ensure compliance with obligations under MiFID II and Market Abuse Regulation , which require market operators, such as London Stock Exchange, to collate an LEI for each issuer with securities admitted to trading.
2. The LEI is a unique 20-digit, alpha-numeric code based on the ISO 17442 standard developed by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). It connects to key reference information that enables clear and unique identification of legal entities participating in financial transactions.
3. Issuers on the regulated market are already required to have an LEI as of 1 October 2017 (DTR6.2). In this regard a communication was sent by London Stock Exchange to issuers on 25 April 2017 and 18 September 2017.
4. If an existing regulated market issuer has not registered for an LEI, it must do so immediately. Other issuers must do so by 30 November 2017. An issuer can obtain an LEI from London Stock Exchange by following the steps in this link: Legal Entity Identifier (LEI) Help Sheet
5. Further information on LEIs and where they can be obtained is available from any Local Operating Unit of the Global LEI Foundation or visit www.lseg.com/LEI. It is an issuer's responsibility to ensure that its LEI is renewed according to the terms of any of the accredited Local Operating Units of the Global LEI Foundation.
6. The application forms for admission of new securities to trading to London Stock Exchange's regulated market and MTFs have been amended to require an LEI. The amended forms are now available on London Stock Exchange's website and will be applicable to all issuers and prospective issuers seeking admission to trading on London Stock Exchange.
Head of Primary Market Regulation and AIM Regulation
This Stock Exchange Notice will be available on the website at http://www.londonstockexchange.com/en-gb/products/membershiptrading/rulesreg/stockexnoticesnew/
Calls to London Stock Exchange plc may be recorded to enable London Stock Exchange to carry out its regulatory responsibilities
This information is provided by RNS