Terms and Conditions
These pages explain the terms under which you use this website, either as a guest or registered user.
Use of the website includes accessing, browsing, or registering to use the website.
Please read these pages carefully before you start using the website, as they apply to how you use and interact with us online.
By using the website, you confirm you accept these terms and that you agree to comply with them.
If you do not agree to these terms, you must not use our website.
If you purchase products or services from the website, our conditions of supply will apply to all sales.
The provisions of this agreement do not affect your statutory rights as a consumer.
Information about us
The Website is operated by AJ Bell Media Limited (We). We are registered in England and Wales under company number 03733852 and have our registered office at 4 Exchange Quay, Salford Quays, Manchester M5 3EE.
Changes to these terms
Using the website
The content of the website is subject to copyright (which may be owned by a third party) with all rights reserved. It is for your personal use only in your capacity as a private investor.
Nothing on the website nor your use of it transfers any intellectual property rights in the content to you, and while you may print and download content for your own purposes - whether business or personal - you must not publish, distribute or reproduce it or any information derived from it for general consumption in any form without our written consent.
Although we make reasonable efforts to update the information on the website, we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied that the content on the website is accurate, complete or up-to-date. We strongly suggest that you take independent financial advice or other appropriate professional advice if you intend to make an investment decision based on it.
The website is designed for use in the UK only and not in any jurisdiction or location where the publication or availability of the website or its contents would be contrary to local law or regulation. If you use the website outside the UK, you do so at your own risk and you alone shall be responsible for compliance with local regulations.
There may be times when the website and any website accessible from it may not be available, for example if we are carrying out scheduled maintenance or internet traffic is heavy. However, we do our best to keep such times to a minimum.
You agree that in entering into this Agreement you will at all times be acting as a private investor (non-professional) and not in the course of any employment, trade or profession which you may carry on.
For regulatory purposes, you are a private investor if you meet all of the following criteria for the entire term of your website usage.
- You are using the service in a personal capacity.
- You are not currently registered or qualified as a professional securities trader or investment adviser with any national or state exchange, regulatory authority, professional association or recognized professional body.
- You do not currently act in any capacity as an investment advisor, whether or not you have at some time been qualified to do so.
- You use the service solely in relation to the management of your personal funds and not as a trader or an advisor to the public or to the investment of corporate funds.
- You do not distribute, republish or otherwise provide any data from the service to any third party in any manner.
Conditions of Supply
Contracts for the supply of the Services formed through the Website or as a result of visits made by you to the Website are governed by our Conditions of Supply which are set out below.
Please read these conditions carefully before ordering any Services from the Website. You should understand that by ordering any of the Services you agree to be bound by these Conditions of Supply and our General Terms and Conditions.
- Your status - by purchasing the Services through the Website you warrant that, you are legally capable of entering into binding contracts, you are at least 18 years old and that you are a private investor.
- How the contract is formed and your right to cancel - all orders are subject to acceptance by us and we will confirm such acceptance to you by on-line electronic means. Upon your receipt of the Confirmation you will be able to commence the use the Services you have paid for. You acknowledge and confirm that the performance of the Services by us shall commence upon your receipt of the Confirmation.
- Prices and Payment - the prices for any goods or services will be as quoted on the Website from time to time, except in the case of obvious errors. These prices exclude VAT. Prices are liable to change at any time, but any changes will not affect orders already placed and confirmed. You agree to pay (in advance) any applicable fee for any premium services that you use. Payment can be made by debit/credit card. Upon authorisation of your debit/credit card, we will activate your account and send you notification (via email) of the details.
- Debit/Credit Card Payments - where you have chosen to pay by credit/debit card, payment must be made in advance and can either be paid annually or on a monthly basis. After your initial payment we will continue to take your annual/monthly subscription fee from the card details you have registered with us until such time as this agreement is cancelled by either party, or the card expires. We will notify you (via email) one week before the expiry date of your credit/debit card. If you do not contact us by the date your subscription expires, your access to our premium services will be downgraded to that of a non-subscriber.
This agreement will continue unless terminated in accordance with the following provisions.
If you are a monthly subscriber, you may terminate this agreement by giving us not less than 30 days email notice prior to your next monthly renewal date.
If you are an annual subscriber, you may terminate this agreement by giving us not less than 30 days email notice prior to your next annual renewal date.
We may terminate this Agreement immediately, without notice and without compensation, in the event that you are in breach of this Agreement.
The decision by either party to terminate this Agreement shall not limit any other rights or remedies it may have, or shall not affect any accrued rights or obligations arising before the date of termination.
Third party links and resources in our site
Where the website contains links or adverts to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your information only. Such links should not be interpreted as endorsement by us of those linked websites. We will not be liable for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them. We have no control over the contents of those sites or resources, and take no responsibility for the information contained in them or for their accuracy.
Viruses, Trojans, Worms et al
We use market standard security software to provide protection for our website, we do not warrant or represent that use of the website is secure or that the protection provided by our security software will offer you greater protection than any security software you have installed on your PC or other electronic communication device. We strongly suggest you purchase your own PC or MAC anti-virus software and keep it up-to-date to protect the security of your computer or device.
We do not guarantee that our site will be secure or free from bugs or viruses.
You must not misuse the website by knowingly introducing viruses, trojans, worms, logic bombs or other material which is malicious or technologically harmful. You must not attempt to gain unauthorised access to the website, the server on which the website is stored or any server, computer or database connected to the website.
Attacking the website via a denial-of-service attack or a distributed denial-of service attack constitutes a criminal offence under the Computer Misuse Act 1990. We will report any such breach to the relevant law enforcement authorities and we will co-operate with those authorities by disclosing your identity to them. In the event of such a breach, your right to use the website will cease immediately.
We will not be liable for any loss or damage caused by a virus, distributed denial-of-service attack, or other technologically harmful material that may infect your computer equipment, computer programs, data or other proprietary material due to your use of the website or to your downloading of any content on it, or on any website linked to it.
Nothing on the website is intended to constitute financial, investment, tax or professional advice.
If you are not sure about whether products and services are right for you, or the implications of purchasing or using them, you should take independent financial advice or other appropriate professional advice.
Shares magazine publishes information and ideas which are of interest to investors. It does not provide advice in relation to investments or any other financial matters. Comments published in Shares must not be relied upon by readers when they make their investment decisions. Investors who require advice should consult a properly qualified independent adviser. Shares, its staff and AJ Bell Media Limited do not, under any circumstances, accept liability for losses suffered by readers as a result of their investment decisions.
Members of staff of Shares may hold shares in companies mentioned in the magazine. This could create a conflict of interests. Where such a conflict exists it will be disclosed. Shares adheres to a strict code of conduct for reporters, as set out below.
- In keeping with the existing practice, reporters who intend to write about any securities, derivatives or positions with spread betting organisations that they have an interest in should first clear their writing with the editor. If the editor agrees that the reporter can write about the interest, it should be disclosed to readers at the end of the story. Holdings by third parties including families, trusts, self-select pension funds, stock and shares ISAs and nominee accounts are included in such interests.
- Reporters will inform the editor on any occasion that they transact shares, derivatives or spread betting positions. This will overcome situations when the interests they are considering might conflict with reports by other writers in the magazine. This notification should be confirmed by e-mail.
- Reporters are required to hold a full personal interest register. The whereabouts of this register should be revealed to the editor.
- A reporter should not have made a transaction of shares, derivatives or spread betting positions for seven working days before the publication of an article that mentions such interest. Reporters who have an interest in a company they have written about should not transact the shares within seven working days after the on-sale date of the magazine.
To the extent that we are legally able to do so, we exclude all conditions, warranties, representations or other terms which may apply to the website or any content on it, whether express or implied.
We will not be liable for any loss or damage, whether in contract, tort (including negligence), breach of statutory duty, or otherwise, even if foreseeable, arising under or in connection with:
- use of, or inability to use, the website; or
- use of or reliance on any content displayed on the website.
- any defects, viruses and any other malfunctions caused to any equipment and other software in connection with access or use of this website
- the content of this website
- loss of data
- the download or use of any software made available on this website
- unauthorised use of a password.
We only provide the website for domestic and private use by consumers and not for business users. You agree not to use the website for any commercial or business purposes, and we have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity or other business related loss.
Different limitations and exclusions of liability will apply to liability arising as a result of the supply of any products or services to you, which will be set out in our terms and conditions.
Nothing in this disclaimer is intended to operate to exclude or limit or restrict any obligations and liability we may have to you under the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000.
These terms, their subject matter and formation, are governed by English law. You and we both agree that the courts of England and Wales will have non-exclusive jurisdiction. However, if you are a consumer resident of Northern Ireland you may also bring proceedings in Northern Ireland, and if you are a consumer resident of Scotland, you may also bring proceedings in Scotland.
Sign up to our
Subscribe to the latest investing news by entering your email address below
You can opt out at any time.
For five days a week you will get
- The latest company news
- Insight into investment trends
- Round-up of director's buys and sells
- Articles from Shares magazine